3 Arrests Made In Belgium In Connection With Terror Attacks
Three arrests were made in Belgium Saturday in connection with Friday’s terror assaults that have killed at least 129, injured 352, and seriously injured at least 99.
The Belgium Justice Minister, Koen Greens, tells VRT network that the arrest were made possible when a car with Belgian licence plate was seen Friday night close to the Bataclan concert hall. The scene of the deadly assault where at least 89 people were massacred with AK-47’s and explosives.
The car with the Belgian licence plates was a rental. Police raids were made in the St. Jan Molenbeek neighborhood in Brussels.
Sky News reported that French media reported earlier Saturday that a suspicious black car with the Belgian pates was seen near the Bataclan.
The area around the Eiffel Tower has been evacuated, with the Champ de Mars Park underground station being closed as well. There was heavy police activity around the Pullman Hotel for some time as French authorities continued to be on the search for Islamic militant responsible for Friday’s deadly attacks. The area’s were eventually cleared.
In a news conference Saturday evening in Paris, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins says that the seven gunmen involved in the attacks all wore suicide vests containing the explosive TATP. TTAP is a chemical used in other major terrorist attacks, such as, the London bombings back in 2005.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Molins said that all of the attackers had either killed themselves by detonating their vests, or were shot by police.
According to Reuters the prosecutor said,
“We can say at this stage of the investigation there was probably three coordinated teams of terrorists behind this barbaric act”
As France’s president Francois Hollande vowed to punish ISIS. The swift arrests in Belgium were made.
French anti-terror police hunted Saturday for any potential accomplices to the attacks.
Authorities said that the six sites around the capital were all coordinated by the he terrorists teams.
Police Saturday pursued numerous leads as they sought to identify the dead terrorists to track down anyone who may have provided assistance.
The Associated Press reported Saturday that two French police officer said “that one of the suicide bombers was identified as a young Frenchman flagged in the past for links with Islamic extremist activity,” says Fox.
The officials said that the man was one of the four who blew himself up after a hostage-taking at the Bataclan. According to Molin, the man had criminal record with eight arrests.
Police officials have said that they found on the body of a suicide bomber a Syrian passport was found at another possible attack site were, Earlier Saturday, at the Paris soccer stadium where three were killed.
Molins says that French intelligence services had not known of the attacker with the Syrian passport.
The other victims had been killed in bursts of gunfire at restaurants two popular Paris neighborhoods.
A greek official told Reuters that a terrorist had crossed into the European Union through the Greek island of Leros back in October. Which was a transit point for Syrian refugees fleeing their war-torn country.
Greece was where a second suspected attacker was likely to also have crossed.
The charge of police forces, Citizen Protection Minister Nikos Toskas, issued a statement that said,
“On the case of the Syrian passport found at the scene of the terrorist attack, we announce that the passport holder had passed from Leros on Oct. 3 where he was identified based on EU rules.”
“We do not know if the passport was checked by other countries through which the holder likely passed,” Toskas added.
The BBC, who had cited British officials, reported on Saturday about the attackers being members of a self-contained cell and had travelled to Syria.
French President Hollande called the attacks “an act of war” as he promised Saturday to hit back at ISIS, who claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Hollande declared three days of national mourning. Top aides held an emergency security meeting to plan the government’s response.
Alongside with his declaration of a state of emergency in France, he ordered stepped-up scrutiny at the country’s borders.
As the Eiffel Tower and other tourist attractions were closed Parisians were also told to stay at home Saturday.
Hundreds of counter-terrorism officer lead by the Paris prosecutor’s office are investigating into the attack.
Agnes Thibault-Lecuivere a spokeswoman for the prosecutor said, “authorities couldn’t rule out the possibility that other militants involved in the attack remained at large,” reported Fox.
French police for the investigation are reviewing hours of surveillance video. They also urge any witnesses to come forth.
The innocent men and women killed at the Bataclan had gone to the venue for a California rock band called Eagles of Death Metal.
According to witnesses, the gunmen were wearing black and white kaffiyehs.
Investigators were looking into another potential lead in Germany where a 51-year-old man, who had firearms, explosives and hand grenades in his car and was arrested Nov. 5 near the German-Austrian border, may be linked to the Paris attacks.
Reports by public broadcaster Bayrischer Rundfunk say that the man appeared to be en route to Paris when he was arrested. Ludwig Waldinger declined to confirm this.
Bavarian governor Horst Seehofer responds to questions about the Paris attacks saying:
“In the course of spot checks we had an arrest where there are reasonable grounds to assume that there may be a link to the matter.”
French authorities were informed of the man’s arrest at the time, because of the possible link to France said Germany’s interior minister.
The man arrested had a navigation device which contained an address in Paris, but he had urged against making a hasty link to the terror attack said Thomas de Maiziere.
de Maiziere told reporters in Berlin.
“There is a connection to France but it’s not certain that there is a link to this attack”
Bayrischer Rundfunk cited unidentified investigators and reported that the man was from Montenegro and was traveling to Paris, according to the documents found during the arrest.
According to the reports, the weapons were professionally hidden inside the car also an automatic rifle and one kilogram of TNT.
Article: Fox News Reporting With The Associated Press