Pressure Cooker Burns Woman And Man In Front Of Children

Warning: These images could be disturbing.

pressure cooker accident

Image: Facebook/Cassie Hodges

A pressure cooker is an amazing and convenient appliance to have in the kitchen. Its ability to cook beans, rice, meats and other foods in such a short amount of time is amazing. However, pressure cookers can be extremely dangerous if used incorrectly as they’ve been known to be created into bombs.

One family wanted to share their story of a pressure cooker nightmare so that they could warn others about its dangers in hope of relieving them from the possibility of injury.

Cassie Hodges and her boyfriend Mark decided on soup for dinner one night. They prepared the pressure cooker and set it under the ‘soup’ function. Cassie had her kids sit at the dinner table while she attended to the cooker.

“On Friday, June 17, 2016 my partner Mark decided to cook some soup. Having left too late to slow cook it, he chucked it in the pressure cooker, selected the “soup” option and walked away. Then, 25 minutes later I walked into the kitchen holding our 12-week-old son, I called out to Mark that the soup was ready. He came in and I put my son in the lounge room to help dish [out] dinner. I told my two older children to go sit with him.”

The couple heard a click on the lid as Cassie was trying to remove it. She released the pressure valve but suddenly the lid slid into the unlocked position, exploding and sending the scorching water onto them.

pressure cooker accident

Image: Facebook/Cassie Hodges

SEE ALSO: “Burned Little Girl Smiles For The First Time After Surgeon Performs Reconstructive Surgery!”

pressure cooker accident

Image: Facebook/Cassie Hodges


“I walked back into the kitchen and Mark let the pressure release valve off, and the steam came out the top as normal. Then I heard a ‘click,’ suddenly I knew the lid unlocked.

The next minute I was hit with something. The lid had unlocked and, because it hadn’t finished releasing the pressure, the lid flew off and the entire contents hit me like as if someone chucked a bucket of water at me.

The noise of it was a loud sizzle. I immediately screamed. My partner was holding his stomach and he pulled his arm back and his skin was all peeled off. I removed my singlet and ran to the shower, we called the ambulance.”

pressure cooker accident

Image: Facebook/Cassie Hodges

12% of Cassie’s body was covered in burns. Boils and blisters started to cover her body since it was literally cooked. Mark suffered burns on his side too. It was less severe but he didn’t attend to his burn quickly because he was helping Cassie with her more serious injuries.

Our prayers reach out towards this hurting family. Lord, please heal their wounds and may their story reach out and warn others about the dangers of using a pressure cooker.

Article: Cassie Hodges